Monday, November 17, 2008

ZELDA II



I have not posted in a few days. I was getting afraid I might have set the bar too high with my article on Romanian castles and I was not sure how to follow up.

Anyways, I was going through my Taschen book of Symbolist painters and noticed an etching of a nude woman stuffing her foot into a man's face when all the sudden, "THAT'S BRUNO SCHULZ!" Two whole pages. Slavic Symbolists! Who would have guessed? Crazy, what's hiding just beneath the surface. Frantisek Kupka is also great. See the spooky inspiration for the castle in Francis Ford Coppola's "Dracula?"




Frantisek Kupka the painter, not Franz Kafka the writer. Totally different?

Randomly, I have kicked up an interest again in Zelda II: Adventure of Link. It's so dark and strange. And nearly impossible to play. I do not play enough video games to qualify to call it underrated. It's just a strange corner of my childhood that was so important at the time, right before I really gave up playing and started music. Why did I love Zelda so much? I was obsessed. Aside from the one or two girls I would seeming choose at random to be completely terrified of every school year, she was the one. I was not very competitive or accomplished as a gamer. It was just an extra-curricular study in magic and vagabondage. Outside, I would sit at the stump of where there was once a giant weeping willow in the back yard and mix grass and soda and pinecones into concoctions to pour over the neighbors fence, as an offering to gods I imagined as I saw fit. Inside, it was the Bible, the Encyclopedia, or Nintendo. Grimoires of study.

One day, its going to make an amazingly awful film.

P.S. Did I mention I loved Street of Crocodiles? "Its the joke that kills you on a crumpled receipt blowing in the wind just before you catch it with your foot only to discover your name all over it with pictures of your family in someone elses handwriting. Its an echo that walks." That's right. I just quoted myself. It's that good.

P.P.S. Why does Dracula keep coming up? Enough already! Why won't you die?

No comments: